Thursday, November 12, 2009

Historically Brunette...

My Legally Blonde moment today, which I have renamed for the title of the blog... I feel like I should get big kudos for giving such a air head, yet intelligent answer... hahaha.

Class discussion board question: The last few weeks, we have discussed and argued what exactly is modernism. This week, we begin to read about post-modernism, and I feel I am just as confused as before. Powell gives a brief definition of what is modernism and how it is different from post-modernism. Can we agree that this is an acceptable definition or is there still something missing? Feel free to discuss any questions or ideas about post-modernism.

My answer: Today I was walking around in the mall and thinking about all the stores I like to shop in when I realized something. I have several different styles that I enjoy: artsy/bohemian, professional dress, casual prep, even some punk and goth! I actually thought to myself, "There's not a specific definition of style to how I dress. I'm just a post-modern woman!" I think this realization made me understand a bit more about what Powell was saying in the book about the lack of structure in post-modernism and particularly about the idea of appreciating the process of art as much or more than the final product of the artist's efforts. Obviously I'm not saying that post-modernism is like my shopping habits (haha), but I think the eclecticism and the elasticity of the concept of post-modernism came through to me a bit better through my trip to the mall.
I think for myself I see some big differences between modernism and post-modernism, but these are more from an art and literary point of view. It seems to me that with post-modernism, it is so fluid that almost anything goes. I am a little confused on how this directly applies to history. Does anything go as far has historical theory is concerned? It doesn't seem the case to me.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

hahaha! I love you, and your crazy...just like me! That thought process seemed to be exactly as how I think which is scary and awesome all at once. hehe. And I like artsy bohemian myself...although my style has been described as artsy bohemian chic lol I don't even know if that exists but I'd like to think I fit in somewhere! Hahaha....oh wait... that isn't good the whole fitting in thing is it?