Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Sea of Faces and Hall of Mirrors

It's incredibly difficult to accurately describe the chaos which surround me. A this moment, I sit alone among dozens and dozens of chattering students, faculty, and staff. "Order up for Tina, Michael, and Andrew!" the head chef yells out like the announcer at a rodeo. All he's missing is that stiff, felt or leather head piece which has become the symbol of the American West; the ten-gallon cowboy hat. As he calls, a wave of hopefuls approach the counter; perhaps their name will be next.
I look over to the table next to me and see a young male who seems to be waiting on friends. "Good Lord," I think. "That boy looks like he's in junior high! God, PLEASE don't let me be that old yet..." His father and older sister come to meet him. Apparently, she is the student, but still looks like a high school student.
I've realized in the last couple of months that I've begun to see my college experience that same way I now view my high school, junior high, and elementary experiences. They've all seemed so great at the time--partially, I think, because I built those mile stones up so much in my mind-- but now seem so juvenile. I certainly don't disregard the experiences, but I just look back and think, "I really thought I was grown up then, didn't I? How ridiculous I was!"
So many a visage in this sea of faces reflect the ideal I had of the college experience, mainly among the young students. I see the anticipation, the lust for adventure within the world of knowledge and society. I see the blossoming of friendships and romances, some of which may actually last through the college years and into a lifetime. I see the desire for achievement and a highly spoken name. I had these ideals of the college experience as well. Not all of them have proven false, you'll be glad to know, but I've found more important things since beginning this excursion into my higher education. Still, I see a piece of myself in every person here. I see myself in this sea of faces as if I were standing in a hall of mirrors.

3 comments:

LenaLoo said...

Oh but weren't those young silly days such fun Dano? Like eating Peppermint Ice Cream rather than dinner when it made both of us rather sick... Or hearing the girls run past our room in their chonies and wondering if we should join them? Yes, young silly days were awesome...

Dani said...

Lol... yes, sometimes, Lena. :)

C. S. T. Stephan said...

Nice. Pretty cool blog, Dani.