Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Purport of the Pomegranate

Often times I have found myself mulling over pomegranates. This afternoon was one such occasion. Recently, I have been seeing pomegranates everywhere--in refrigerators, on counter tops, and on tables in homes and apartments. However, every time I look, I see the pomegranate is still there after several days. Is the pomegranate something which one buys in order to make one's self look more cultured, but does not eat? Is it even possible to eat a pomegranate? This, I know, to be possible, but would like to put forth that it may be pointless--just as pointless as I find eating sunflower seeds to be, perhaps more.
See, apparently pomegranates are a tasty fruit. I know this because I have had the opportunity to drink pomegranate juice on a few occasions. I know that the pomegranate has been eaten and traded for over 4,000 years in eastern Asia through Northern Africa and even parts of Europe. However, I really think the person who discovered pomegranates and the fact that they are edible was absolutely starving. For this, I have three reasons:
1) Their skin is incredibly thick, difficult to peel off, and not edible.
2) The membranes between the sections of seeds are very thick, bitter, and (again) not edible.
3) The pomegranate seeds are just that... juicy seeds! It isn't a nice piece of fruit that a person gets to bite into once they finally get to the "good stuff", but a myriad of slippery seeds that are difficult to pull from the membrane and have very little sweet juice before the bitter middle...
All that for approximately 70 calories and some vitamin C. So, what is the point of a pomegranate? I propose that, although the juice tastes nice and the colour is beautiful, a pomegranate is nearly pointless as a fruit. I'm positive that is the reason why my mother buys one every fall and lets it wither away!

9 comments:

C. S. T. Stephan said...

BAHAHAHA. Yes... good points all.
Perhaps pomegranates are the poinsettias of fruit? It's a thought....

Dani said...

Oh, but I like Poinsettias... lol

C. S. T. Stephan said...

Never! They are a pointless plant we have an irrational affinity for! Cast them out, I say! Cast them out!

Dani said...

Hmph... I'm going to have to hear or read your argument for this opinion, Kito... at least I've backed up mine with facts! Don't just be throwing out anti-poinsettia propaganda, Kito!

LenaLoo said...

Lol... You guys crack me up... Unlike you Dano, I eat my pomegranates... Granted it is a process, but I like them... Besides, it's like celery, you burn more calories trying to eat it than it has in it! That's gotta be worth something!

Dani said...

Celery is easy to get to...

Tom Reynolds said...

imagine being the first person ever to see the first pomegranate and eat it. what do you think was going through that person's head?

Dani said...

Like I said... he or she must have been starving to take such desperate measures as to tediously hack into a pomegranate and pick out all the juicy seeds...

PAforMusic said...

As you say, the juice is lovely, especially chilled. Not too sweet or too sharp. Hard to find in most general shops around here, though.