Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Causticity of the Term "Thanksgiving"

Why do we wish one another a "happy Thanksgiving"? What does it mean? Are we not simply saying to each other "have a lovely day sitting back and counting your blessings"? Why must we wish each other a happy Thanksgiving when we should be more than content counting our blessings in the first place and happiness should, therefore, be implied by the word "thanksgiving"? I've thought on this subject over the last couple of days. I am still doing quite a bit of thinking on this matter, but I'm forming the opinion that Americans specifically mean "have a fun day filled with those who matter to you and good food while considering yourselves blessed in general and forgetting the real needs of those less fortunate than you" when we say that frequented holiday phrase of which I write.

Christians are called to give thanks in all circumstances and I pray that one day God will mold me into someone who can do that much more easily than I do now, but regardless of Christianity's specific call, the ability to give thanks, be grateful, and act out of that gratitude are things all Americans (excepting, perhaps, those who are in need of our help (those living on the streets, in shelters, in railroad cars, etc.)) should do for the countless number of blessings we have in this nation of ours. The level of apathy in these United States towards our fellow human beings not only troubles, but sickens me. What sickens me even more is that I find this apathy in myself. I nearly nauseate myself when, say, I'm in my apartment during the middle of a torrential storm and catch myself complaining because there is a slight draft in the room when I haven't even stopped to wonder what the local homeless are doing to try to stay out of the rain. I am just as guilty as anyone.

So what if we don't use the expression "Happy Thanksgiving" next year? What if we say "Give Thanks!" just to change things up and get people thinking? And what if we started acting out our thanks (this we don't have to wait a year for!)? Just think about it.

No comments: